SNR Excelsior 52 Restoration & Chroming

Hello everyone, my name is Ergin and i am from Anatolia, i mean Turkey :wink:

Recently i found this old guy in junkyard, he was very tired because of 67 years old as you know.
a Picture when i first found :

he lying down with garbages… what a shame :blush:

First procedure was disassembling…

After that, ofcourse i checked alelctronic and mechanic condition. all of caps dried and leaked as i expected.

All caps replaced with new caps. deeply checked all resistors and some of them replaced too.

actually mechanic condition was very Good, i just add some grease in to moving parts.

Next step : Paint removing and polishing.

As you see paint is very bad condition and some rust on surface. i removed all of paints with chemical paint remover gel. Attention ! this paint remover very dangerous and if you thinking use you must be careful and use protective Googles and gloves. This application should be apply on open air place.

Now some pictures about paint removing…

Next step : Ni/Chrome electroplating.

i dont have electroplating equipment :laughing: so this means i need proffessional electroplating company.
i sent all metal parts to local company for plating and one week later they come back to me.
Va la !

Next step: Re assembling.

Most important and sensitive part ‹ mirrored glass › thank god. still intact and Good condition.

And finally result.

i make a video when my radio playing from my phone, they connected with PU input of radio.

You can watch that video below link.
Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl7-HxQmYKg

Hi ! Erginates !

a lot of work !

nice result !

radio reception is good in Turkey ? LW…MW…SW…

Bye !

cordially

Bernard

Whaow :open_mouth: :smiley: beautifull! Very good job!

Thank you Bernard,

Unfortunately no broadcast LW MW or SW in here, Just FM. i am using PU input for other sources.

Thank you Nicolas.

Now i am looking for Excelsior 55, for new restoration.

SNR radios has unusual and uniqe design, i like them.

Hi erginates ! :slight_smile:

====Unfortunately no broadcast LW MW or SW in here, Just FM. i am using PU input for other sources.===

not even Short Waves …?

Bye

Bernard

Hi Bernard,
ofcourse short waves reach here but need a good antenna setup. brodcast can listening from russia, greece and saudi arabia.

Hello Erginates,

As you seem to have no LW/MW/SW stations in Turkey, please be informed that our club has developed & sells a miniature FM adapter module for vintage AM-only receivers. The module uses the radio’s original tuning capacitor to synthesize the local oscillator frequency to cover the FM 88-108 MHz band. Output is baseband mono only audio fit to attack the radio’s phono input or regular audio amplifier section.

You can find it here :

radiofil.com/module-fm-5,p558.html

You need to be a RadioFil Club member to purchase but you will certainly get some help from other members for a one-of purchase.

Best Regards
Jhalphen

Trad rapide : j’informe notre correspondant Turc de l’existence du FM5 pour sa radio qui ne reçoit rien en PO/GO en Turquie.

Thank you for your information Jerome,

i want to keep with original specs. i can connect any external devices from pu input.